,
Message sent from:

Our School

Bishop Thornton C E Primary School is a village school in the heart of the local community but which also embraces children from other villages and the nearby towns of Harrogate and Ripon. It is a friendly and welcoming environment into which new pupils quickly settle. The children are split into 2 classes and the small class sizes allow individually tailored education for all pupils. This means that all the children make good progress both academically and in their social and emotional development.

The school works collaboratively with Birstwith C E Primary School, sharing a headteacher, and staff and children of the two schools meet to work and play together regularly.

The Building

Bishop Thornton CE Primary School was established in 1873 and over the years the building has been enhanced to accommodate all that is necessary for a modern and progressive school. The up to date technology includes a bank of laptops available to all pupils along with interactive whiteboard technology in all the teaching areas.

Pupils in the early Years and Key Stage 1 have access to an outside learning environment as well as a large and well equipped inside area. Key Stage 2 children have a generously sized classroom upstairs.

There are considerable playground areas with fitted wooden play equipment and a field adjoining the school for playtime use as well as Physical Education and sporting activities.

Community Links

The school enjoys close partnerships with the village community especially St John's Church. Harvest, Christmas and Easter celebrations take place at the Church and Rev Paul Harford  is a regular visitor into school to lead times of  Collective Worship. The school also welcomes Father Mike Walsh from Our Lady Immaculate RC church Pateley Bridge.

Links have been made with the Pre-School in the village of Markington and Class 1 sometimes visit their friends there.